All Past Recaps/Mobile Apps for Women and Networking Event (June 18, 2013)
Mobile Apps for Women and Networking Event
Event date: June 18 2013
Posted by: Amelie Walker-Yung
On Tuesday, June 18, NYC Webgrrls met at ThoughtWorks for another fun evening of tech talk and networking.
The topic of the night was Mobile Apps, and we particularly covered those that women find useful. Good mobile apps can both boost your productivity and help you stay up-to-date!
Chapter Leader Nelly Yusupova led the discussion by highlighting the apps that she thinks are important for professional life. All Webgrrls attendees were encouraged to jump in and share their apps with the group and kept the discussion very interactive. Everyone was excited to discover new apps they haven't tried.
Webgrrls is my insurance for staying on the cutting edge of technology. The app event is an opportunity to upgrade my "bag of tricks".
Graphic Designer, Diva Design
One of the favorites was Evernote. Nelly called this app her external brain. "I can't live without it!" insisted a few in attendance.
Here is a full list of the apps mentioned.
- Mailbox, Sparrow (iPhone)
- Aqua Mail, MailDroid, K9-Mail (Android)
- Evernote, Troggl, Remember the Milk, Trello, Asana, Clear, Bento
- HootSuite, SidekickHQ, Instagram, Flickr, Buffer
- Read it Later, Instapaper, Pulse, Zite, Feedly, Rebel Mouse
Connecting on the Go:
- Skype, Google Voice, IMO Messenger
- Tripit, Tripcase, Waze, Wi-Fi Finder, Kayak, Hipmunk, Wifi Analyzer
- Google Translate, World Lens, iTranslate Voice, Transclick
Shopping and Food:
- RedLazer, Foodspotting, Yelp, MyCityWay, ShopSavvy, Seamless, Open Table, Menu Pages, Grubhub, Square Wallet, My Check, Recipes
Access to Computer:
- Dropbox, TeamViewer, Remote
- Turbo Scan, Cam Scanner
- CamCard, CardMunch, CraigsPro, Dictionary, DocuSign, Onavo Extend, Orbot, Private Photo Vault, Runkeeper, Snapshot
Very inspiring and a lot of new things to learn - even for those "I know it all" types like me!
Digital Marketing Consulting, nominikat.com
After the discussion, we went around the room giving 30-second introductions, including what we could give and offer other Webgrrls. Some of the needs and gives this month included job leads and internships, help from German, French, and Mandarin speakers, fun things to do in NYC, financial advice, and even a really great tailor!
Before breaking into informal networking, Nelly held a giveaway. Elke Nominkat and Ellen Spinder were the lucky winners of the book Web Analytics an hour a day by Avinash Kaushik. Congratulations!
Join Webgrrls for a Summer Wine & Cheese Networking Mixer at the new WIX Lounge on July 17.
Click config to choose event...