I have recently conducted a Blogging Basics workshop for the NYC Webgrrls and a lot of people asked me how they would go about setting up an RSS feed for their blog. Below is a step by step tutorial for setting up your RSS feeds for WordPress, Blogger, and Typepad blogging platforms.
If you are not familiar with what RSS feeds are and why you should use them, take a look at RSS 101 article published by FeedBurner.
- Detailed statistics about your subscribers and subscriber count
- Allows you to set up email subscriptions for free so your users can receive your blog feeds via email
- Allows you to add social bookmarking functionality
Step 1. Set up FeedBurner Account
- Go to FeedBurner’s website and click the Register link at the top of the page.
- Fill out the registration form and click Sign In once you are done.
- When you sign in, you will be taken to the myFeeds page
- Enter the URL of your original RSS feed in the textbox and click Next. The URL will look something like this
- http://yourblog/?feed=rss2 or
You should type the address in a browser to test it first (see image below for an example)
- Next, enter your Feed Title and Feedburner Address (see image below for an example)
- Once, you activate the feed, you will get the following screen:
Make sure to Write down your new FeedBurner URL.
Step 2 – Activate FeedBurner’s SmartFeed
There are two feed formats…RSS and Atom. Unfortunately not all feed readers support both formats and in order to ensure compatibility with ALL RSS readers, FeedBurner offers the SmartFeed feature, that will automatically keep track of the feed format that each of your subscriber’s feed readers support and display the feed in the correct format.
To activate FeedBurner’s SmartFeed feature do the following:
- In the manage feed section click on the optimize tab. From the services menu on the left, click SmartFeed.
- Click the Activate button. You should see a confirmation.
- Test your Feedburner feed address (http://feeds.feedburner.com/yourFeedName) in a browser window to make sure that it is working.
Step 3 – Integrate your FeedBurner feed into YOUR Blog Platform
FeedBurner integration varies depending on which platform you use to publish your blog. Below are links to articles published by Feedburner on how to integrate your Feedburner feed with some of the most popular blog platforms: Blogger, Typepad, WordPress Self Hosted, WordPress.com, and MySpace.